This month we’re celebrating the 25th birthday of the World Wide Web. The birth of this visual layer of the Internet fundamentally changed the way we communicate, learn, organize, and connect with our community, run our businesses and waste time on a rainy day. Before the end of the year, it is predicted the number of registered websites will tip the 1 billion marker.
Holy, WOW! No matter who you are or what you’re searching for, that’s a lot of noise to sift through.
So, as an SMB (small to mid-size business) what are you doing to ensure your customers can find you on the web? And, trust me, that’s the first place they’re going to look. According to Pew Research, 87% of American adults now use the internet, with near-saturation usage among those living in households earning $75,000 or more (99%), young adults ages 18-29 (97%), and those with college degrees (97%). Fully 68% of adults connect to the Internet with mobile devices like smartphones or tablet computers.
Answer each of these questions “YES” or “NO” to determine your web connectedness:
1. Do you have a website?
2. Do you have a smartphone-friendly mobile site?
3. Is your contact information easily found and highly visual on your website(s) homepage?
4. Do you have a “contact us” page on your website with multiple connection options (email, phone, physical address, mailing address, map link)?
5. Have you registered your business with Google Places?
6. Do you have an active (2-3 posts per week) social presence on:
7. Are you creating new content weekly or monthly on your website (i.e. blog articles like this)?
8. Are you registered with listing sites relevant to your business category?
9. Are you creating opportunities to be an expert in your field through guest blogging, podcasting or video production (i.e. uploading “how to” videos to YouTube)?
10. Are you #hashtag savvy? There’s a right way and a wrong way to utilize them. #clickfortips
If you didn’t answer YES to all ten questions, make that a goal for 2014.
In the meantime, join ProLedge in celebrating technology that helps make our jobs easier and our businesses run efficiently. Today, we salute both the Internet and the WWW, for giving us email, screen sharing, cloud sharing and storage, the intranet, task management and employment tracking tools. Because of you, we aren’t buried under piles of papers… in triplicate. Instead, we’re providing our clients with accurate and timely bookkeeping, small business advice and top-notch customer service. We couldn’t do it without you.